UPDATE: We are Re-Opening from 13th July!
To all of our valued DeakinACTIVE members
The health and safety of you and the DeakinACTIVE team are of the highest priority. We’re excited to announce that the DeakinACTIVE gyms will re-open 13th July with the start of Trimester 2.
All hygiene, physical distancing and other government advice will be in place so we can make sure we’re providing safe and healthy environments for members and staff. At this time all memberships will be suspended at no cost to all members until Sunday 26 July.We’ll share more information about the changes in gym protocols and your membership options soon.
**Outdoor facilities and Elite Sport Precinct at Waurn Ponds** Even though the VIC State Government has announced some easing of restrictions, Deakin University campuses continue to remain closed and cannot be accessed at this stage. This includes all outdoor sport and fitness facilities.
All communication about DeakinACTIVE will be done through our social sites, our website, or via email. We will keep you updated on when we are allowed to reopen our facilities and access outdoor sport. Please stay abreast of our communications across our social media – Facebook and Instagram sites.
Waurn Ponds firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget to download our DeakinMOVES app so you can still keep moving! Eat healthy foods, exercise and keep up regular sleeping habits. Our gyms and facilities may be closed but we can still help you to MOVE and stay fit and active! Join us online today.
Membership & Pricing Update
We can’t wait to re-open on Monday 13th July! With revised operations due to restrictions on social distancing and reduced numbers in the gym, we feel it’s only fair that we review your membership structure as well.
So a Strive membership gets FREE Thrive benefits for the same price (look at FREE group fitness classes!) and at Burwood, Thrive members will also access our amazing new SkillAthletic workouts for FREE! Think short and sharp high intensity workouts using our amazing Technogym equipment in the gym!
Direct debit payments will recommence at the first scheduled direct debit date – 26/07/20 – so you also get the first 2 weeks for FREE!
Update and Revised Opening Hours
With reduced capacity, additional hygiene and safety operations in place when we re-open, our fitness centers and stadiums will look a bit different:
- Maximum of 20 in the fitness centre at a time
- All attendees must book to attend
- Abide by a new booking cancellation policy
- Additional cleaning and hygiene practices are an essential requirement.
- Fitness Centre at HE is closed
- We will re-open in our brand new fitness centre. The new space is AMAZING and we can’t wait to share this with you!
- Exciting new SkillAthletic workouts coming your way – watch this space!
Opening Hours (from 13/07):
- Business as usual!
- The outdoor fitness area next to the running track is currently closed
Opening Hours (from 13/07):
Mon-Thurs 7am-10am & 4pm-8pm
Fri 7am-10am & 3pm-6pm
- All fitness classes have been suspended until further notice (most likely T3 at this stage – watch this space!)
Since some of you will be studying from home during T2, our operating hours and group fitness class schedule will be slightly different. However, we will constantly review numbers, opening hours and classes offered, which can all be changed subject to demand.
Hygiene & Safety Protocols
Once our DeakinACTIVE doors open, things will look a little different to usual:
- 1.5m physical distancing must be kept at all times
- Only 20 people can be in the space at any one time, and 10 people in group fitness classes
- You must wash your hands prior to entering the gym
- All change rooms and toilets will be temporarily closed. Please arrive in your workout gear
- BYO filled water bottle (water cooler temporarily closed)
- BYO towel. No towel = no workout. No excuses
- Equipment will be wiped down frequently by staff, and you will also be required to wipe down your own equipment using the supplied antibacterial wipes before and after use
- Hand sanitiser stations will be positioned throughout the gym. Please use these before and during your workout
- No ‘spotting’ of weights will be allowed
- Sneeze guards have been installed at the desk
- Contactless payment
- Your allocated time at DeakinACTIVE will be for 50min only. You are required to leave as soon as possible at the end of your time period
- Social gathering is not permitted within the facility – It’s harsh but our new mantra for the time being is ‘Get In, Train, Get Out’
- Enhanced faculty cleaning procedures – Deakin University will have roaming cleaners for high use areas. Deakin will clean the facility every morning and DeakinACTIVE will clean gym equipment throughout the day
- It goes without saying but if you are feeling unwell do not attend
- If you display signs of being unwell you may be asked to leave the premises
- By attending DeakinACTIVE you are agreeing that you are not experiencing any signs or symptoms of COVID-19, you have not returned from overseas in the past 14 days, and that you haven’t come into contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the past 14 days. If you do experience any of these symptoms, please inform a DeakinACTIVE staff member.
New Booking & Cancellation Procedures.
BOOKING PROCEDURE: Once we re-open to meet government restrictions, we can only have a maximum of 20 people at DeakinACTIVE at once. To manage capacity of the fitness centre we have set up a new booking system.
You MUST book your time for the gym floor AND your group fitness classes before attending. You cannot just turn up to DeakinACTIVE for a workout (and may be turned away).
Floor space in the gym of the fitness centre is available in 50min blocks (on the hour) to allow for 10min cleaning between bookings. You can book up to 3 workouts per week for the equity of all members until restrictions ease further. You can have only 1 booking per day. If you can’t attend your booking, please cancel so someone else can take your place.
Use the DeakinMOVES app to book. If you don’t already have the app please download here. Have the DeakinMOVEs app downloaded on your device* and run through the steps to create your account:
- Create a user name and password
- Enter your body stats for accurate MOVES
- Link your account to your smart wearables.
To book the gym floor in the Fitness Centre:
- On the home page, scroll down to Class Timetable
- Find a day/time you would like to train
- Select the DeakinACTIVE ‘Gym Floor’ class and click the Book button
- When you arrive to for your workout, you will need to sign in with DeakinACTIVE reception
To book a group fitness class, follow the above process but select your preferred day/time and class type and click the Book button to reserve your place in the class.
*If you cannot download the DeakinMOVEs App please contact DeakinACTIVE.
CANCELLATION PROCEDURE: Our new booking system allows you book 1 workout per day and up to 3 bookings per week. This is to manage equity for all members while our capacity has been reduced.
If you are unable to attend your DeakinACTIVE booking, please cancel out so someone else can take your place. If you want to cancel your booked session, you must provide more than 2 hours notification.
If you do not attend your allocated booking and are a no-show, you will be given a penalty.*
* If you receive a penalty it is because you have not attended your booking and potentially restricted someone else from using the facility. Please respect that there is limited availability and we want everyone to have a fair opportunity to return to training.
If you receive 2 penalties within 14 days, you will be unable to book in for another training time until you have communicated with a DeakinACTIVE staff member. The DeakinACTIVE staff member will manually remove your penalty and allow you to re-book.
If you arrive after your allocated starting time, you will still be allowed entry for your given 50-minute booking, but will need to be out of the fitness centre at the end of that 50-minute time slot.
We understand this is a new process, so if you have any queries please feel free to reach out to us.
As you will have heard, unfortunately a small number of suburbs in Melbourne are seeing an increase in coronavirus cases. To minimise community transmission the VIC Govt has announced that 10 postcodes will be returning to Stage 3 restrictions until the 29th July.
To keep the health and safety of all DeakinACTIVE members and staff, if you reside in one of the lockdown suburbs then we ask you to refrain from training at DeakinACTIVE facilities during this period. We will automatically pause your membership until the end of July for you.