COVID-19 and Re-Opening Information
The health and wellbeing of our DeakinACTIVE members remains our highest priority. We are closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation, stringently following all government and health guidelines, and listening carefully to the questions and concerns we receive from our staff, members and Deakin University. If you are a student of Deakin University, you can find further information on our COVID-19 FAQ.
All communication about DeakinACTIVE will be done through our social sites, our website or via email. If you need to contact us: Facebook https://www.facebook.com/deakinactive/
Waurn Ponds email@example.com
Don’t forget to download our DeakinMOVES app so you can still keep MOVEing! Eat healthy foods, exercise and keep up regular sleeping habits. Our gyms and facilities may be closed but we can still help you to MOVE and stay fit and active! Join us online today.
BURWOOD RE-OPEN DATE POSTPONED
The health and safety of our DeakinACTIVE members and team are our highest priority. Based on the re-introduction of stage 3 restrictions by the Victorian Government’s from 9th July, Burwood will not reopen as planned. The fitness centre and sporting facilities will remain closed until further notice.
We assure you that as soon as it is safe to do so, we will reopen our doors at Burwood. All Burwood memberships will remain suspended at no cost to members until Monday 24 August. We will monitor the situation closely and extend this date if required. Any queries please email us firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the DeakinMOVES app and stay active with us! Daily and weekly workouts, challenges and FREE online classes available https://bit.ly/DeakinMOVESwebsite
WAURN PONDS TO RE-OPEN MONDAY 13TH JULY
The new Stage 3 lockdown restrictions for Melbourne do not affect Geelong – so the fitness facility at Waurn Ponds will re-open on Monday 13th July as planned. We can’t wait to see all of your smiley faces in the centre again!
MEMBERSHIP & PRICING UPDATE
With revised operations due to restrictions on social distancing and reduced numbers in the gym, we feel it’s only fair that we review your membership structure as well. All Waurn Ponds members will return to DeakinACTIVE on a Thrive membership but at the cheaper rate of the Strive membership tier of $11 p/wk – so you’ll have gym access PLUS group fitness classes, 6 body scans and full digital membership FOR FREE^.
Direct debit payments will recommence at the first scheduled direct debit date (26/07/20) so returning members will also get the first 2 weeks for FREE! Waurn Ponds members who wish to extend their suspension further must email us directly.
T2 re-opening special* – new members save 50% off their joining fee! So if you have a friend or a gym buddy you’d like to workout with, be sure to let them know about this limited offer!
^Reduced membership fees will run from 13/07-31/08 when prices will revert to pre COVID fees unless otherwise notified.
*Re-opening special available from 13/07-26/07.
REVISED OPENING HOURS
Due to the Stage 3 lockdown in Melbourne, Burwood will remain closed until further notice.
WAURN PONDS (FROM 13/07)
Mon-Thurs 7am-10am & 4pm-8pm
Fri 7am-10am & 3pm-6pm
All fitness classes have been suspended until further notice (most likely T3 at this stage – watch this space!)
HYGIENE & SAFETY PROTOCOLS
The health and wellbeing of our DeakinACTIVE members and staff remains our highest priority. Once our DeakinACTIVE doors open, things will look a little different to usual:
- 1.5m physical distancing must be kept at all times
- Only 20 people can be in the space at any one time, and 10 people in group fitness classes
- You must wash your hands prior to entering the gym
- All change rooms and toilets will be temporarily closed. Please arrive in your workout gear
- BYO filled water bottle (water cooler temporarily closed)
- BYO towel. No towel = no workout. No excuses
- Equipment will be wiped down frequently by staff, and you will also be required to wipe down your own equipment using the supplied antibacterial wipes before and after use
- Hand sanitiser stations will be positioned throughout the gym. Please use these before and during your workout
- No ‘spotting’ of weights will be allowed
- Sneeze guards have been installed at the desk
- Contactless payment
- Your allocated time at DeakinACTIVE will be for 50min only. You are required to leave as soon as possible at the end of your time period
- Social gathering is not permitted within the facility – It’s harsh but our new mantra for the time being is ‘Get In, Train, Get Out’
- Enhanced faculty cleaning procedures – Deakin University will have roaming cleaners for high use areas. Deakin will clean the facility every morning and DeakinACTIVE will clean gym equipment throughout the day
- It goes without saying but if you are feeling unwell do not attend
- If you display signs of being unwell you may be asked to leave the premises
- By attending DeakinACTIVE you are agreeing that you are not experiencing any signs or symptoms of COVID-19, you have not returned from overseas in the past 14 days, and that you haven’t come into contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the past 14 days. If you do experience any of these symptoms, please inform a DeakinACTIVE staff member.
NEW BOOKING AND CENCELLATION PROCEDURES
Once we re-open to meet new operation guidelines and to maintain your safety we can only have a maximum of 20 people at DeakinACTIVE at once. To manage capacity of the fitness centre we have set up a new booking system.
You MUST book your time for the gym floor AND your group fitness classes before attending. You cannot just turn up to DeakinACTIVE for a workout (and may be turned away).
Floor space in the gym of the fitness centre is available in 50min blocks (on the hour) to allow for 10min cleaning between bookings. You can book up to 3 workouts per week for the equity of all members until restrictions ease further. You can have only 1 booking per day. If you can’t attend your booking, please cancel so someone else can take your place.
Use the DeakinMOVES app to book. If you don’t already have the app please download here. Have the DeakinMOVEs app downloaded on your device* and run through the steps to create your account:
- Create a user name and password
- Enter your body stats for accurate MOVES
- Link your account to your smart wearables.
To book the gym floor in the Fitness Centre:
- On the home page, scroll down to Class Timetable
- Find a day/time you would like to train
- Select the DeakinACTIVE ‘Gym Floor’ class and click the Book button
- When you arrive to for your workout, you will need to sign in with DeakinACTIVE reception
To book a group fitness class, follow the above process but select your preferred day/time and class type and click the Book button to reserve your place in the class.
*If you cannot download the DeakinMOVEs App please contact DeakinACTIVE.
Our new booking system allows you book 1 workout per day and up to 3 bookings per week. This is to manage equity for all members while our capacity has been reduced.
If you are unable to attend your DeakinACTIVE booking, please cancel out so someone else can take your place. If you want to cancel your booked session, you must provide more than 2 hours notification.
If you do not attend your allocated booking and are a no-show, you will be given a penalty.*
* If you receive a penalty it is because you have not attended your booking and potentially restricted someone else from using the facility. Please respect that there is limited availability and we want everyone to have a fair opportunity to return to training.
If you receive 2 penalties within 14 days, you will be unable to book in for another training time until you have communicated with a DeakinACTIVE staff member. The DeakinACTIVE staff member will manually remove your penalty and allow you to re-book.
If you arrive after your allocated starting time, you will still be allowed entry for your given 50-minute booking, but will need to be out of the fitness centre at the end of that 50-minute time slot.
We understand this is a new process, so if you have any queries please feel free to reach out to us.